Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Free Market Value of Life

Hello beautiful bambinos,

Good morning from the West Coast, where I write to you from my kitchen, eating a very healthy breakfast of chicken nuggets and sriracha. I have so enjoyed all of your posts this month. (I work at an office with a fairly robust firewall, so I know you all have contributed something really good when I can't actually view it at work. That's double the fun.) I thought long and hard about whether I would post this piece. Sometimes it's difficult for me to know whether the things I write are for myself or for others, but at some point in the last two months I emailed this piece to a friend who is a consummate writer, and she emailed me back (kids these days!) to encourage me to share this with a public slightly larger than just her; the February Blog seems like a pretty natural locale/audience. If, after reading this, you're tempted to pick up the phone or shoot me an email, that's great! I just hope that the conversation that ensues is about your new boyfriend or my pretend dog because, really, I promise, everything related to this story has turned out just fine.

With love,
Caroline

***

The Free Market Value of Life

"I'm worried my mom is going to die," I say. The time is 5:06pm, and my father, brother, and I have been here since noon.

"We are all always worried our moms are going to die," this person says. This response isn’t very compelling in part because this person isn't real. He is in my head, and he is a composite of at least four or five people I have known and loved. I can hear at least two of my ex-boyfriends’ and best friends’ voices in his response. Mostly, this response isn’t very compelling because he knows my mom isn’t just any mom. She’s my mom, and she’s also in the top 2% of moms. She is a mom who sambas in the kitchen, has been known to discuss the female orgasm with my friends, and always sneezes in threes. She is a mom who cites Freud in everyday interactions, can ask for butter in five languages, and laughs so hard sometimes that she cries.

"I know, but I'm actually acutely worried right now, in this precise moment, that my mom is going to die imminently. Hasn't she been in the operating room too long?"

Has she? Hasn't she? How would I know? The surgical team told us at 8am that surgery would begin at 10am and would last four hours, so either they were wrong or I was too focused on the bagel I was eating at the time to pay proper attention. It felt okay to eat a bagel because that’s a right you earn when your mom is specifically taken to a hospital called Mount Sinai around Christmastime. Mostly, though, it felt okay to eat a bagel because we were so confident at the time. At the 8am pre-op, my dad invoked Woody Allen: the two most beautiful words in the English language, we agreed, are “it’s benign.” But I am trained in the Oxford comma, the art of scrambling eggs, the pluperfect, and armchair anthropology, never in neurosurgery. I think incessantly about worst-case scenarios. I am a closet pessimist who wonders whether the holidays are meant for dying on operating tables and drinking to excess instead of for building snowmen and admiring mistletoe.

"Okay, let's say hypothetically that she dies. Then what happens?" This person has a rather annoying tendency to speak logic to me because he knows that I can play along. He knows that logic is easier than emotion when your mom has a brain tumor. This time, I resist it.

"Then I die, too."

"No."

"Then I stop caring about whether or not I die."

"That's not it either."

"Then living gets harder."

"Yes, that part's true. And what happens when living gets harder?"

"I have less incentive to do it."

"Maybe so. But what happens to the free market value of things when they're harder to attain?"

"Are you fucking kidding me with this 'market value' bullshit?"

"I'm not. I'm serious. You're the one who started with 'incentives' anyway. What happens when resources become scarce?"

I refuse to answer. I cross my arms and obsess about the incomprehensibly bleak future without my mom. I glance at the Montenegrin family that sits on the couch kitty-corner to us that is eating something that smells like a meat-stuffed pizza. I pick through The Daily News. My brother and I chat briefly about Twitter’s IPO. I do everything I can to avoid the question the person in my head has posed. I wait to respond for what feels like ten minutes but is actually only six, which I know because I check the clock on my phone. The phone's battery is almost drained, which I knew would happen but I didn't bring my charger with me anyway because the only people I care to have reach me are in the room with me. At least, I thought that that was true, but this person’s voice in my head makes me question whether there aren’t four or five other people I wouldn’t mind having in here with me.

"I'm being serious. This is economics 101." 

"I practically failed Economics 101. And Neuroscience 101, as luck would have it." I expect him to make a corny joke, something along the lines of how leaky my cerebral cortex is, but maybe he knows now isn’t the time for brain humor.

"Caroline, what happens to the value of scarce resources?"

"It increases, I guess." In my head I shrug, although in real life I strip down to the tank top I wear beneath my sweater. I almost declare to my dad and brother that, at age twenty-six, I’m having a menopausal moment in late December, but that’s the kind of joke my mom would make. A lot of the jokes I make are jokes my mom would make.

"Yes! It increases. It becomes more precious. And that's what will happen to your capacity to live once you've seen its fragility. Do you understand?"

I understand that I want to throttle this person. I understand that when the chief surgeon interrupts our reverie -- to tell us that everything was fine, she'll be okay, she's on her way to a full recovery -- the scope of the verbs he uses (simple past, simple future, and simple present) indicates that we categorize things by when they happened and what the outcomes were. This is mostly a clear-cut way to categorize events. Yet there is another way to categorize moments. I can distill moments into the extremes of times I lived so well that I teased death and sunk so low that I neglected life. In the exercise of inventorying and reverse-engineering these moments, there is only one consistent truth: these extremes are defined by their scarcity. Scarcity, the free market dictates, imbues value.

I start to tell the person this thought, but of course there is no one there. There is only the noise of my breathing, the taste of snot running into my mouth, and the quiver of my slowing heartbeat. The time is 5:17pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment