Monday, February 24, 2014

A Tribute to a Wonder-ful Teacher



Dear ones,

Some of the content of my post will acknowledge a bit more of the February-ness of February, but in a whole, loving, celebratory way.  Be aware as you proceed forward.

Today is one of my holy brothers’ 30th birthdays.  His name is Jonah Adels and while I cannot call him on my phone, I can imagine him, feel him, link in with him as he soars through the cosmos.  Jonah left this life and this body this past year and blessing him on his journey has offered me a very new way to relate to passing.

Jonah lived each moment of his life so fully, so passionately, that so many nuggets of his wisdom, his laughter, his drive, his humor are still deeply accessible to me.  While October gave cause to mark Jonah’s death, his February birthday offers a moment to celebrate Jonah’s life.  And so I wish to share some of Jonah’s Light that we all might Shine that much brighter on this and all days.

1. Play a Silly Game.
In one of the last e-mails Jonah wrote me, he told me about a new game he was creating (we taught together and it was fun to share curriculum)… while you might not be able to play this with a group, walk to your next destination silly style!  Here is how, in Jonah’s words:

The Ministry of Silly Walks (small to medium group game)
Groups circles up. 2 Game leader pick a person each and demonstrate that they should imitate them. Game leaders model a silly walk with a gesture and a sound and parade around the circle. Chosen people imitate. Game leaders choose another person and demonstrates their silly walk. everyone does their silly walk simultaneously until there is cacophony.

2.  Learn about a new funky fruit or plant and take a moment to connect with nature.

Jonah loved the natural world- from introducing me to crazy fruits- check some out here, to leading me on mushroom forages, to planting an entire edible forest garden for the children of the children of the children of our children ala  The Man who Planted Trees (one of my fave books- watch a beautiful rendition of it on YouTube!).

Spend a moment connecting with nature today… the tree you walk by as you enter your home, the house plant in your office are wonderful companions.  Say hello!  Give um a kiss!  

3. Take action.

Jonah knew that civil and global and ecological action and justice are essential- he was an activist through and through, rallying youth and adults around the Keystone XL Pipeline and countless other causes.  

The legislation is up again- let O’bama know where you stand (and please… stand against it!!) – from 350.org: Our last chance for Keystone comments -- Right now we are in the middle of the last official public comment period for Keystone XL -- one of the very last steps before President Obama makes his decision on the pipeline. I just sent my comment -- it's important that we make it clear to President Obama that both the climate and political risks of approving the pipeline are too great. Click Here to submit your comment- it will only take a moment.

The final few are lessons I have actively felt Jonah teaching me the last several weeks

4. Sing your song.

Jonah is the first person who told me I could sing.  He sat with me for hours playing notes on his shruti box and having me match them, taught me and so many others to play and sing original songs of his and precious songs he’d learned.  Here is an incredible recording of him singing a mystical tune he wrote and composed to “Shalom Alecheim”, a prayer many Jews sing as they welcome in Shabbat to welcome the angels- to come in peace, abide in peace, and depart in peace.  Thank you, brother Jonah.


5. Choose Love.

I don’t have much more to say. One of the first songs Jonah taught me to sing and play on my ukulele goes like this…

Open your heart my love,
Open it wide
Open your heart my love,
Open it wide

Take me inside, my love,
Take me inside

Open your heart my love,
Open it wide…

I have been strumming and singing this song most days the past couple of weeks and channeling and admiring Jonah’s bravery, his tenderness and his trust in and surrender to the rhythms of this world and his own heart.

6. Be all of you.

Jonah the musician, Jonah the activist, Jonah the food forest scientist, Jonah the Maggid (ordained Jewish Renewal story teller/tradition keeper), Jonah the lover, Jonah the teacher, Jonah the tearing child, Jonah the mischief maker, Jonah the artist- they were everywhere he was and my, my, my what permission his fullness offered / offers to all with whom he came into contact. 

In love, in gratitude and in celebration,
Lizzie

No comments:

Post a Comment