Sunday, February 10, 2019

Hi All -

I am excited to have spent the first few few days of this February with much of my closest feb-community. I was lucky to have Yoav at my home last Shabbat and wanted to take this opportunity to "formally" welcome him to this little "February sub-community".

I am just coming off a super-energizing shabbat in Brooklyn staying at Nat's palatial apartment and having delicious and raucous meals at the home of Reb Loeb along with Harry, Nat, and others.
I am feeling in awe of how completely at-home & in-community I am during this February month both in Tel Aviv (last year) and in New York (now). 

Last night Viki and I went to a screening of a new film starring a friend/up-and-coming Hungarian actor, Geza Rohrig (from Son of Saul), and Matthew Broderick -- "To Dust".
The film reminded me much of this unique community in that it stared death & mourning straight in the face - embracing all the deep pain and sorrow while also having many moments of belly-aching laughter. If you are interested/open to having a raw, at times grotesque, engagement with Jewish mourning this month - I highly recommend this film. 

And on a lighter note -- I am just returning from the 3rd birthday party of my delicious red-headed nephew Yehuda where I had the honor of moderating and participating in my first ever apple-bobbing tournament which for some reason was way too challenging for all present children and ended up being a competition amongst the three grown Fisher brothers.

Just sharing a few brief windows into my world and mind this month...

Sending love to you all - especially as we near Avi's 9th Yahrzeit this coming Tuesday the 12th.

Jonah 

No comments:

Post a Comment