Wednesday, February 28, 2018

BIIIIG FEBRUARY PURIM

Friends -

I cannot imagine a better way to end February than with the start of Purim.

The BIG Purim also closed the month of the fateful February of 2010.

It is wild to think that each of us has Februarized in such distinctive ways throughout this month - each with his/her own experiences in different corners of the world -- and somehow we are all exiting February together, unified by the wackiest of holidays.

I recently had a friend share with me that the Purim costume is all about tapping into a part of yourself that is not normally or easily expressed throughout the course of the year. I have begun reflecting on my past costumes in this light and thinking of the ways in which my monochromatic, buttoned-up day-to-day style gets nahafochued on purim when I traditionally find myself wearing tights, a dress and/or something bright and shiny. (I will be dressed as Eleven from Stranger Things this year alongside Viki who will be dressed as Hopper.)

In a certain regard, February is the נהפך הוא month for many of us. The month when our worlds were turned upside down.

There is something relieving and exciting about leaving February behind and returning to the normalcy that is the rest of the calendrical year. But there is also a form of sadness in leaving February behind, the month wherein we have the ability to tap into (an oft-broken) part of ourselves that is not usually expressed during the rest of the year.

So as we begin this big Purim and end the month of February, I bless us to spend this last day diving deep into that liminal space between drunkenness and mourning --- and allow ourselves (and those around us) to fully express those elements that so desperately deserve to come to the surface and be celebrated.

Much love to ya'll from Tel Aviv/Jerusalem.

Jonah

No comments:

Post a Comment