Thursday, February 19, 2015

Flowers, New Life, Educational Media and Somebody Loves You (SO MANY SOMEBODIES!)

A couple of weeks ago, I attended a workshop on the creation of engaging, educational media to motivate behavior change. The back story for this particular video is that BBC Media Action got permission to use a popular Bollywood song


and changed the original lyrics, which translate to "one, two, three" to "one, three, two" to remind people that there should be three years between babies one and two. Am I a total nerd? Yes. But is this video kind of amazing? Also yes.


In a previous post (I love that it could be last year OR the year before) Harry shared a song that made him "want to dance under the covers." Betty Who's Somebody Loves You does this for me always, and the original video, before she had a budget to make the better known version, is my fave. Supposedly she made this video with friends, which makes it even better in my mind.



In addition to attending super awesome workshops, another thing I do in Nairobi is walk past beautiful flowers that make me grateful to be alive, grateful to have eyes, grateful to live here, and generally just...grateful. In another hat tip to Harry, I share these photos, not as amazing as his but, you know, still gorgeous if for the subject matter and not the talent taking photos and choosing filters.






As blessed as the flowers on my walk to work make me feel, and as much as I enjoy attending workshops that make me (endearingly?) nerdy, sometimes I feel sad about how far I am from so many people I love. FaceTime, Skype and other internet wonders make me feel less far away. And yesterday, I felt so close as I FaceTimed in to the bris for my cousin's newest son. I got to listen and watch and cry and sing as he was named for my grandmother. Here's a blurry photo of rabbi, abba and baby getting ready to make history:


And finally, these maps that show just how crazy words can be.

With the deepest of love, affection, admiration, and gratitude,
Ruthie

No comments:

Post a Comment