Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Feb 24th


I finally caught up on reading the beautiful Feb Project blog posts you each posted. Although I now feel so moved after reading your insights and wisdom (we are so young and yet so wise!), I am finding myself without any real thoughts of my own. And I felt this way when I wrote my other post earlier this month. Sort of reminds me of the emptiness Ruthie wrote about. 

But after thinking some more, I realize that there are two things that I would like to share with you all. 

One is this nice little nugget that really resonates with me and perhaps with all of you twenty-somethings too:

One of the mixed blessings of being twenty and twenty-one and even twenty-three is the conviction that nothing like this, all evidence to the contrary notwithstanding, has ever happened before.
- Joan Didion

And another is this poem, that I was going to say "one of you" posted around the time of Rosh Hashanah...but the truth is that I, in my crazy way of documenting everything, had emailed myself this poem and had written in the subject line: "poem for rosh hashanah / new year (from jana via micah weiss)" so let's give credit where credit is due.

i am running into a new year
and the old years blow back
like a wind
that i catch in my hair
like strong fingers like
all my old promises and
it will be hard to let go
of what I said to myself
about myself
when i was sixteen
and twentysix and thirtysix
even thirtysix but
i am running into a new year
and i beg what i love and
i leave to forgive me

-lucille clifton

It feels appropriate to think of February, with its cold dark days begging to be left behind, as a symbolic end-of-year -- and March, with its transition into spring, as a fresh new beginning. Let's run into this 'new year', propelled by love and with Februaryness blowing back like a wind. And away we go! 

Stay warm (literally & figuratively),
Tali

No comments:

Post a Comment