Saturday, February 14, 2015

[February 14, 2015] Home

Dear friends, but really family,

I write this post at a bittersweet but mostly beautiful time. I'm so grateful that Ruthie gave me this date. How does she just know these things? 

Right now I'm in Austin with my family. I'm here for the unveiling ceremony for my grandfather, Jarrell "Tank" Rubinett, whom many of you have met and even more have heard me talk about. He had a beautiful, vibrant spirit. He never felt embarrassed. His motto was "always give someone a chance to tell you no." He advocated for what he believed in. He encouraged his children and grandchildren to follow their hearts and trust that we would do right in this world. I try to heed his advice as much as possible, even though I now have to channel both sides of our conversation.

There's another special day today. One year ago, my mom had surgery to remove a breast cancer tumor. Today, she is cancer-free. We were immensely lucky. Her process was painful but short, and I know well that we can't take this for granted. Thank you all for standing by me last February and throughout this past year (as you have many times before). We're celebrating her lumpectomy anniversary by going to "Mortified, the Valentines Day Edition." I glad to celebrate this holiday this year by hearing people read their middle school diary entries. 

Perhaps more than any other year (which is saying a lot), I've felt the power and necessity of community. Sometimes I look around me--literally or metaphorically--and think "I can't believe these people are my friends." And these people are you. It is such a gift to be inspired, challenged, held, and loved by people I admire and respect as much as you. Thank you for continuing to push and pull me, while holding my hand along the way.

I leave with three images. The first is a video I saw a few weeks ago. I think it's beautiful, and perhaps it will brighten and deepen your day.



The second are two photos that I took while I was running on the trail in downtown Austin. I have run along this trail more times than I can count, but it takes three weeks of endless snow to make me stop to fully appreciate the sunshine and unwavering beauty. Now, we should all move to Austin.




Love,
Sophie

No comments:

Post a Comment