Saturday, February 23, 2013

[twenty-three] Openness, Justice, and Haircuts gone wrong



Loved ones,

You all remind me of how lucky I am to be a part of this broader community, so thank you. I am impressed by your thoughtfulness, your humor, your gratitude, and your deep reflection each day.

I know the idea of this blog is to appreciate joy even in February, and I'll get there. But some days are especially heavy, and it feels right to acknowledge our beloved Einat and her mother Naomi Prawer Kadar. In the spirit of embracing whatever emotions come our way, I want to share a poem that my mom gave me, which has been traveling with me from room to room since college.

The Guest House

This being human is a guest house. 
Ever morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes 
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whatever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.


Unrelated, I'm sharing a talk by Brian Stevenson, who I heard speak last night a a "Rebellious Lawyering" conference. Some of you have definitely heard him speak, and if not, it will provide a pep talk for pursuing justice, however you envision that. 

And on an only light note, I have to share my favorite audio clip. The context: two daughters, one bad haircut, and a father who just happens to be an NPR reporter. I hope you've all heard it before. I think you can't listen too many times. In fact, my roommate and I had to limit ourselves to quoting it only twice per day. 

Love,
Sophie

P.S. I'm not sure if these links work, so a follow-up post may be in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment