Wednesday, February 1, 2017

[February 1, 2017] Singing makes me feel so good

Beauties,

I can't believe this is going to be our fifth year. It feels like so much time has passed, and so much has happened in that time, and I've grown and learned and done so many things. And also, it feels like I am - and we all are - exactly the same. I feel really grateful for this community and the ways it has grown and changed and stayed the same.

I recently watched Captain Fantastic on the plane from Nairobi back to the US for a visit. I was completely knocked over by it. It knocked the wind out of me. I spent the rest of the flight alternating between furiously writing in my journal and staring blankly while thoughts rushed around my head. I cannot recommend it enough, if you haven't yet seen it. And I would love to talk to you about it for hours. And, the cover of Sweet Child of Mine in the final scene of the movie is SO SO SO good that I listened to it on repeat and then made my friend Matt learn it with me, and now we just play it on repeat. As soon as I heard it, I knew I had my first febproj post. It's kind of a spoiler, so if you haven't seen the movie and care about spoilers, I recommend listening without watching.


Mmmmmmm.

On January 21st, I had the honor of participating in a Women's March in Nairobi. Then, in the evening, some magnificent souls came to my apartment to play guitars and ukuleles and homemade maracas and we sang songs of peace and unity and love and change, and it made me feel just a little bit better. My friend Weldon is on a video-making kick, and put together a little piece on the day, which ends with footage from our singalong. 



May we all remember to do the things that feel good, even if they're not necessarily the highest impact things that feel most important to do when work needs getting done. May this month of February restore us in a way we've never before asked it to do. May this community nourish us, may it bring us strength, may it help us grow, and may it make us feel held and seen and loved in a world that so often does not. 

Sending so much love to all of you, and I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS.
Ruthie


2 comments:

  1. Yes! I LOVED Captain Fantastic so much after I saw it by myself I made Tricia see it with me. Thanks for starting us off right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That clip just made me want to see it more. And ... amazing glimpse into your community in Nairobi. And I love your hair!!

    ReplyDelete