Monday, February 6, 2017

Chevreh!

I can't believe I forgot to post yesterday.  I had been looking forward to my assignment all week, greedily picking up little scraps of joy from around the Internet to collate and post to you all here.  And while posting late is nothing we shame here over a the [thefebruaryproject], I felt a bit unhinged that I had nonetheless missed a scheduled appointment.

Yesterday I ventured to Washington Square Park to sing protest and unity songs under the arch with several hundred of my new favorite New Yorkers (and Harry, and Aaron).  I had been craving something like this, especially because I'm not so into protesting and find it alienating.  But mostly, while I'm so glad to see people getting politicized and eagerly adding protest events to their calendar (or just assembling in a large mob every Tuesday and yell about what fresh hell has surely been unleashed that day), I worry that matters of politics are overtaking matters of spirit, and the latter is my preferred way to fight the former.  Here are some snippets of some of the assembled crew.  This was actually the second time we sang "We Shall Overcome," but a really rad lady in a felted wool hat insisted we do it again because the first pass had been a bit scattershot; folks in back couldn't hear to follow along, not enough people were holding hands, and the first round had been lead by an enthusiastic and well-meaning white dude (they always are) and it was just time to try things a little bit differently, you know?  It was really special.

I've been virulently angry lately, totally impatient, stuck with the nub of a long-spent fuse.  I've been trying to stay in poetry and song wherever possible, even if it's just in my head, even when it feels too soft or like it's taking me away from what I'd rather be feeling.  This one doesn't feel too soft at all; it feels just February enough for me these days (thanks to Allie for passing it along a while back). But here's one that felt like a good compromise.

And finally, some real focused attention on an issue that matters deeply to all of us.  One question we should ask ourselves in the face of this: have we done enough?  It's hard to face that honestly, but I know I haven't.

Selah,
Jana

2 comments:

  1. OR what if you allowed yourself to be really angry for as long as it took and not try to hide it in poems or songs? I promise there's a bottom to the anger, so no need to be too afraid of it.

    This weekend I spent about 15 minutes bludgeoning a sofa cushion with a tennis racquet, and I have never felt better.

    ReplyDelete