Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Anniversaries

Dear friends,

To quote our beloved Ruthie, a blog post "maybe...won't be something that will make us cry, since there has already been lots of crying in february, or at least...it won't be something the poster posts as a 'this is so meaningful and sad you'll definitely cry' and if we're in a crying place, maybe we'll still cry." 

I'm not aiming for "so meaningful" here, but we're approaching a meaningful day for me. Tomorrow, it will be exactly two years since my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. Two days ago, she received a good report from her surgeon. The scariness of 2014 feels so far away. I am immensely lucky. 

My mom was overwhelmed by the support she received from our community, which includes you. She sent medical updates via email because she couldn't keep in touch with all her loved ones in that time. Below is an excerpt of the email she sent after her last radiation treatment. Her reflections are resonant long after her cancer is gone, so I'm sharing them now:

I have no great wisdom to impart, but I've been reminded of a few things along the way:
1.  The guilty pleasure of television, whether it's "Will and Grace" reruns or "Homeland," is an excellent antidote to radiation side effects and the occasional blues.
2.  Although I haven't read it, I like the title of Robin Roberts' memoir:  "Everybody's Got Something."  There's nothing like spending time at a radiation/cancer treatment center to put your own experience in perspective.  
3.  There's certainly plenty of bad news in the world, but I can name a slew of excellent human beings who should make all of us hopeful about the continuing existence of goodness, kindness, and friendship.  I am honored to have a community composed of people such as yourselves.  
Unlike some, I do not consider cancer a gift or a blessing . . . but it did help me appreciate anew the many blessings that surround me.  Your concern, thoughts, prayers, and contacts; every card, email, gift, phone call or message - has warmed my heart and profoundly contributed to resilience and healing.  Whether communicated directly or through Larry, Sophie, family or friends, your overwhelming generosity of spirit and deed has given me something that I will carry with me always.  Those nasty cancer cells have been replaced with spaces containing something far mightier and more enduring - love, appreciation, and gratitude.


I felt your support then. I feel it all the time. I'm grateful for proactive people (shout out to Ruthie) who recognize that we all need to convene over the interwebs when the days are short and distances feel long. Thank you for holding space for me every year, in each moment.

On a lighter note, check out these great pie charts from my celebrity crush Ann Friedman. 

Love,
Sophie



No comments:

Post a Comment